Pregnancy is full of ups and downs. On one hand, you are excited that your family is growing and that in just a few months you will be able to hold your little bundle of joy. On the other hand, pregnancy is rough. It starts off with morning sickness and cramping. Then as your pregnancy progresses and your belly grows, the back pain and hip pain come.
Don’t let pain put a damper on this happy time. Chiropractic care is a great, natural option for pregnant women. Regular chiropractic care has been known to treat morning sickness, headaches, and infections as well as back pain, hip pain, and neck pain. Chiropractic care even helps align the pelvic bones to support the weight and growth of your unborn baby.
Is Chiropractic Treatment Safe for Pregnant Women?
For those who are wondering if chiropractic treatment is safe for pregnant women, you can rest assured that it is. In a regular pregnancy, chiropractic care is highly beneficial for the new mom and does not hurt the baby at all. However, if you are nervous about seeing the chiropractor during this time, take these extra precautions:
- Find a chiropractor that specializes in the care of pregnant women. Many chiropractors specialize in prenatal chiropractic care. The right chiropractor will be able to adjust you throughout your whole pregnancy, and may even be an invaluable resource if your baby is breech near time of delivery.
- Look for a chiropractor that has a specialized table for your expanding baby bump. This will allow you to be more comfortable and keep your body in the proper position when getting adjusted.
- It is not recommended to lie on your back for a long period of time when you are past your first trimester. However, a few minutes is harmless, though it may not be comfortable. Let your chiropractor know when you are not comfortable with a certain position.
- Chiropractors approach each of their patients differently. They know they can put more weight on a healthy male for an adjustment, where as a lighter touch is needed for pregnant women. You can be sure
- If you have any health issues or further concern, your OBGYN will be able to advise you further on the issue of chiropractic care.
If you have a bun in the oven, make chiropractic care an essential part of your prenatal health care plan. It is healthy and beneficial for both you and the baby.